X Bench DIY

Hey All!  I thought today I would share with you one of my favorite DIY’s ever.  Sam over at The Peak of Tres Chic did this amazing DIY on a Target bench and I knew I had to try it myself.

I started out with these two X Benches from Target’s Threshold line.  They were dark leather with dark wood.  They were $80 each, but I got them on sale for around $60.

IMG_4544

The dark tones definitely did not fit with my light, neutral bedroom.  My goal was to transform them into a calm and serene element to set at the end of my bed.

I fell in love with this fabric from Acquitaine, but at $50 a yard it was out of my budget.

Venitian Ottoman

Did that stop me?  I don’t think so.  I searched Ebay and found a little over two yards of it for about $15  per yard!!  Major score.  I love Ebay for buying fabric.

The first thing I did was take the seat off the bench, which was very easy.  Just use a screwdriver to take out the screws.

Next, I used Rub N Buff in Gold Leaf on the legs of the bench.  I have only used Rub N Buff on smaller pieces and have been very impressed with how it applied simply with my finger.  However, with a surface area as large as this, I might have chosen paint in lieu of Rub N Buff.  Applying the Rub N Buff with my fingers made it have a slightly streaky look.  I considered painting over it, but decided I actually liked the way it looked in the end.  It looked really natural and organic instead of smooth and polished.

Here are the benches with only the legs painted.

IMG_4604 (1)

Next, I upholstered the seat cushions.  If the thought of trying to upholster something freaks you out, don’t let it.  If I can do this, so can ANYONE!

First, lay your fabric out on a flat surface and smooth out any creases.  Place the cushion upside down on the fabric.

IMG_4638

Second, trim the fabric.  I left about 3 inches around each side and that was perfect.

IMG_4639

Third, pull the fabric taut over each side and fold so that the raw edge of the cushion is covered.  Place a staple with a staple gun in the center on each side, so that you have four total. Next, you need to cover the corners.  This requires going really slowly and pulling the fabric really taut so that there are no bumps and lumps.  Just take your time!

IMG_4641 Finally, I screwed the cushions back onto the seat.

Here is the final product.

IMG_3774

IMG_3777

 I LOVE them.  They went from something so generic to something custom looking that fits perfectly in my bedroom.  The options and color combinations are limitless. These could also be moved to a living room for extra seating.  And, if I ever tire of them, they could always be re-painted and re-upholstered.

Although this project was very simple as far as upholstery goes, it gave me confidence, and I will definitely try more projects in the future!

What do you think?  Have you ever tackled an upholstery project?  Was it easier than you thought?

 

Share: Share on Google+Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestEmail this to someonePrint this page

Comments

  1. Heather Morris says:

    I am SO impressed with your reupholstering job! Those stools are beautiful! Thanks for the “how to”…definitely going to try it!

Trackbacks

  1. […] had some left over fabric for the upholstered X Bench project I wrote about here, so I decided to use it, as the two accessories go in the same […]

  2. […] 3/4″ square.  Use 2″ foam for top and wrap with fabric.  Secure with staple gun.  See here form more detail on how to attach fabric to an ottoman with a staple gun.  Attach cushion top to […]

  3. […] colors would work great!  When I got them home, I realized I had some gold Rub ‘N Buff from this project left over.  I thought it would be fun to tape off the corners and make a statement in […]

Speak Your Mind

*