Hi everyone!! If you are joining me from Linda at Calling it Home welcome! To get you up to speed, I am making over my daughter’s nursery into a big girl room. My color scheme is grey and pale pink. I am going for a soft and feminine feel.
This is Week 5 and man is the pressure on. My week can be summarized by the phrase Blood, Sweat and Tears. I spent the whole weekend doing DIY projects for the room. I wallpapered the MDF wood panels in between soccer games and managed to cut my finger pretty bad on the board (this is the blood). The good news is all I have left to do it cut, paint and attach the trim and these will be done.
Next, I tackled my semi-DIY cornice board. You may recall that I ordered the cornice board custom from a company called Ready to Cover. I spent the weekend upholstering it. Why do such projects always seem so simple? Just use a staple gun and cover the board, right? Not so much. This project took hours and my husband helped me with most of it. Yes, we are still married (this is the sweat and the tears part.)
First, we had to cover it with batting to give it a padded look and mask the wood. Then we upholstered it with the fabric. The problem was I did not calculate the yardage I needed correctly. I had a bunch of extra fabric from making the drapes, but I would have needed to order 3 more yards to get it to cover the length of the board without a seam. So, in order to save money and time we made do with the remnant fabric and just have a slight seam on each side.
Now all that needs to be done is hanging it. But this thing is HEAVY and after having my husband help me upholster it, I don’t think I can bear asking him to hang it. Cue in the handy man. He came over today to measure and get the hardware required to hang it. Whew! Marital crisis averted.
Here is what I have done from my initial list.
Paint room Wire and install light fixture Sew drapery Upholsterand hang cornice board DIY mongolian fur stools
- DIY framed wallpaper panels
Cover Ikea dresser with O’verlays
- Move out all of the one-eyed dolls, naked Barbie dolls and princess castles
- Style and photograph the room (hope there is time for this)
Not bad considering it has only been 5 weeks. Participating in this challenge has definitely lit a fire underneath me an kept me accountable. Oh, the pressure of a deadline.
Head over to Calling it Home to follow along with the participants and linking participants. And don’t forget to check back next week for the final reveal. In the meantime, you will find me wandering aimlessly around the Home Depot looking dazed and hopped up on Starbucks looking for supplies to finish up this project!